Firearm FAQ's

1) How do I buy a firearm?

As an individual you can purchase any firearm you like providing you have the appropriate license  (PAL) for the class of firearm you wish to purchase. See # 5 below.

2) How do I buy a firearm by mail?

We need your PAL number, full name, address, phone number, place of birth and payment method. We accept all major credit cards, EMT’s and money orders. For restricted firearms we also require details of your Gun Club membership. As soon as we have all the above information we start the firarms transfer, this process can happen instantly online for non-restricted firearms, it may take longer for restricted firearms. When the transfer is started a reference number is issued, in the event of a query, i.e. a change of address that has not been reported, we pass on the reference number to the customer and a quick call on the 1-800-731-4000 number quoting the reference number should resolve any problems. We will not ship a firearm until the transfer has been completed. When the firearms registration certificate shows up in the mail a few weeks later, it is advisable to check the details are correct.

3) What is a PAL?

A PAL (Possession and Acquisition License) replaces the old FAC and is required before you can legally be in possession of a firearm. You can purchase a firearm before you have a PAL, this makes you the legal owner, but you cannot take possession of her without a valid PAL. All PAL’s will have the classes that you can possess and acquire on the back, for all new PAL’s they will be non-restricted and restricted.

4) How can I get a PAL?

It is very simple, pass the test. There is a test for non-restricted firearms and a test for restricted firearms, the non-restricted test has to be passed first, and the tests can be taken back to back. You do not have to take the training course although this and other training is recommended if you have no firearms experience. The tests are very straightforward. There is a training manual available that sells for approximately $15.00. For more information of where to go for your nearest firearms examiner contact the CFC at 1-800-731-4000.

5) What are the different legal classifications of firearms?

There is a lot of confusion concerning our current firearm classes, we offer the following simplified general information for your guidance only. Contact your Local Firearms Officer or the CFC for further details at 1-800-731-4000.

There are the following Firearm classes: Non Restricted, Restricted, Grand Fathered Prohibited and Prohibited.

Any person is eligible to apply for a PAL (Possession & Acquisition License) for both Non Rrestricted and Restricted Firearms. It is generally accepted that you need to join an Approved Gun Club before you can acquire a Restricted Firearm.

There are six different Grandfathered Prohibited classes. You had to possess (or have applied to possess) a firearm in each class prior to the class being created, in order to be grandfathered into that class. The classes are separate. Simply because you are in one class does not make you eligible for another. If you do not currently possess a firearm in a grandfathered class, you never can, excepting possibly the 12.7 class. These classes are:

• 12.2: FA Full Automatic

• 12.3: CA Converted Automatic

• 12.4: OIC # 12 (OIC = Order in Council) A small class, examples are: Sterling MK6, Steyr AUG, Uzi carbine, Mod A and mini Uzi

• 12.5: OIC #13 A large class, examples are: FN FAL, H&K, AK47, Thompsons etc.

• 12.6: Handgun All .25, .32 (some exceptions) and handguns with a barrel length of 105mm and less. Registered before 14 Feb 1995

• 12.7: PROHIBITED 12.6 handguns inheritable by immediate next of kin as they were manufactured before 1946.

Your PAL should have all your classes listed on the back, if you think you should have a class that is not listed, you can have your PAL amended. You will not have lost that class just because it is not listed. (It took the CFC three attempts to get my own PAL correct).

The final class is the Prohibited (Without grandfathering) this would include (but not limited to) firearms from all the Prohibited Grandfathered classes that were not registered into the system prior to their respective cut off dates. Do not try and register one of these firearms (Even during an amnesty) you will lose it! If you have something interesting in this area contact me and I will explain your options. Yes, you do have more options than simply surrending her, but don’t delay.

There are many errors and misunderstandings concerning the classification of different firearms. The following are just a few examples. Lots of people think all fifty cal rifles are prohibited. WRONG!!!! Some are, and some are not. The Mini 14 is still non restricted, folding stocks are legal, so are factory shotguns with 14 inch barrels. An MP5 SMG would have to be either a FA or CA. The factory semi auto version, the HK 94 would be in the 12.5 class. This is very straighforward and easy to understand. However when you look at the FN FAL family you have firearms that could be in either FA, CA or the 12.5 class, and some FN FAL whose correct classification can not be determined. These last ones are accepted at face value in whatever class they are currently registered in.

Here at Wolverine Supplies we deal in all classes of firearms. We supply both private citizens and Government Agencies, literally from coast to coast. Whilst we do not support all the current facets of our firearm control system, we will follow the law. Due to my long extensive involvement in the Canadian Firearms Industry I have a better than average understanding of our system, if you have any concerns regarding any intended purchase, please phone or e-mail us.

6) How should I legally transport my firearms?

Unloaded, all firearms must be unloaded for transport. For non-restricted firearms, the unloaded firearm can sit on the seat beside you, lay on the dash or be on display in a rifle rack in the back window of a truck, providing you are in the vehicle. Whilst trigger locks and or gun cases are not a legal requirement, depending on your location having your firearm in plain sight may not be a good idea!  Driving down a gravel road in Manitoba is a lot different from downtown Toronto. When you leave the vehicle unattended the unloaded firearm must be out of sight and the vehicle locked this is a legal requirement. This changes for restricted firearms, all restricted firearms must be unloaded, immobilized with a secure locking device (trigger lock) and be in a locked case. In addition you will require an ATT, Authorization To Transport. These are normally issued in one of two types. The long term, up to 5 years and will expire when your PAL needs renewing, are for target shooting. You will need to be a member of a Gun Club before an ATT will be issued. They may have other restrictions according to Provincial Policies. The second type of ATT is usually referred to as a short term and is intended for one particular movement, for example taking a handgun to a Gunsmith for repair. Please note the above is offered as a guide only, consult the CFC for full details.

7) How should I legally store my firearms?

Unloaded, all firearms must be unloaded for storage. For non restricted firearms the unloaded firearm can be stored in one of three basic ways. Firstly immobilized with a secure locking device, a trigger lock or cable lock. Secondly by locking the firearm in a case, cupboard or gun safe. The third way is to remove an essential component and then store that part separate to the firearm. This changes for restricted firearms, all restricted firearms must be unloaded, immobilized with a secure locking device (trigger lock) and be in a locked case. The trigger lock can only be dispensed with if a safe or vault is used. Please note the above is offered as a guide only consult the CFC for full details.

Written by John Hipwell, President Wolverine Supplies